• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for being sick

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

goingnonpostal

After just one month working for the U.S. Postal Service, I was fired because I had missed three non-consecutive days because of a sinus infection that lasted two weeks. (I brought in a note from a doctor upon returning from the third day of absence.) No warning was given after I missed the first day. When I was fired, I was told it was because of "abuse of sick leave policy," but that policy had never been told to me or written down anywhere. My supervisor told me (while firing me) that I should have come in when I was sick, and that he would have examined me and then allowed me to leave. He never told me this until he fired me. Can I sue them for wrongful termination?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">