• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired but employer will not let it drop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carrieas

About a year ago I was working for a dentist who fired me on the spot one day when I came into work. When I ask why I was being fired he would not tell me and said "IT WAS SIMPLY FOR THE BEST" and would not clarify. Well I went to unemployment and ask for benifits and after two weeks was denied and told that the good Dr. Murphy had said I didn't do my job of calling clients the workday before.
I was only able to get ahold of one person(its was the middle of the day and evoryone was a work which I told him of this fact). So I did do my job just like evory other day I worked there. So naturally I appealed but this time I won. So now his lawyers appealed again this time he won again. Now I have to appeal again even though I didn't do anything wrong. What can I do I am not a rich person and I know if I win he will have his lawyers appeal it again. This whole ordeal has just stressed me out because I am still in the same field and I dont know how it will look to my future employers.

cincinnati ohio

Last edited:

wtd

As it says at the top in big red letters, you need to indicate the state that you're from (actually you didn't even bother to fill out your complete profile, so that someone could take a stab at it by looking at the "Location" tag under your name at the upper left) - laws vary from state to state.

In Nevada your employer would be absolutely correct in his postion. This is a right to work state and barring any violation of antidiscrimination laws, employees are hired and fired at will (also read - the whim of the employer).
If you are fired - no unemployment.

As to future employment, when I've called to inquire about references of prospective employees, most former employers will only acknowledge that the employee worked there during the time period specified, and say whether the former employee would be rehired if the former employee applied there again.

Advice (not legal): Apply for another job, make a good impression during the interview. Unemployment compensation is not worth fighting for ( if you're like every one else I know, once you get it, you'll find that's not enough to live on anyway and the time spend chasing it is not worth the time lost in the job hunt. A $10 fight over a $1 bone).

Good luck,
wtd

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">