• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired but they now claim I quit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

misterkane

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

I was fired May 5, 2005. I was given no reason for the firing. As an at will employee, I knew they did not have to provide a reason. However, when I filed for unemployment compensation, and when the hearing representative contacted my employer to determine whether they would fight my claim, they responded by saying that I had quit. What is going on here? Is this their way of refusing to explain their reasons for firing me, because they have no valid ones, and they are not going to contest my unemployment compensation claim? The hearing officer said their office would accept my account of the firing incident if my employer offered no explanation. :confused:

Beth3

What is going on here? I have no idea.

Is this their way of refusing to explain their reasons for firing me, because they have no valid ones, and they are not going to contest my unemployment compensation claim? If that's their reasoning, they they don't really understand the UC process. The burden of proof will be on your employer to demonstrate that you resigned. If they agreed that you were fired and wish to contest your UC claim, then they have to demonstrate that you were fired for willful misconduct.

The hearing officer said their office would accept my account of the firing incident if my employer offered no explanation. Yep.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">