• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired--company kept my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

julie9499

I was fired a few mo's ago from a large corporation due to downsizing effort (in NY).
I was told first thing in the morning and was asked to 'gather my stuff' asap and leave immediately. However, I was only given 10mins (with my boss hovering over me). In between the shock and humiliation,...I grabbed a few random items and got out of there.
As time passed, I realized I had left many personal items--bills (with personal info), gift certificates, pictures, etc. I called HR and requested they ship it to me and they agreed. 3 weeks later..nothing was received..so I called to follow up. I ended up leaving a message, and received no call back. I have since left another message and again received no call back. It has now been almost 2mo's.
IS THIS legal? Obviously I do not want to cause a big deal for little personal things..but I am curious if I have any rights??
Thanks!

L

loku

personal items left at work

In the situation, the company has an obligation to return your property; therefore, you have a right to sue them in small claims for the value of the property or the property itself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">