• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for criminal background

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TincoDesign

Hello and thanks for helping.

I work for Wells Fargo Advisors, I started my job when we were A.G. Edwards. I was informed 2 weeks ago that i could not work there because I had a felony on my record from a car accident I was involved in when I was 17. I informed them that I had already taken care of this when I was hired with A.G. Edwards.

I guess Wells Fargo is a little pickier because I had to go and get wording on my court dockett changed to show it was dropped to a misdemeanor.

The problem is that part of my punishment for the accident was the payment of restitution. I tried to sell my car to pay this off but had a hard time doing this. I got behind in the payments and they filed a petition to revoke.
A lady finally came to me and gave me a check for $500 to hold the car untill she could get the rest of the money. I took the check cashed it and took the money straight to the circuit clerk. Much to my dismay the check was forged.

I was a poor kid and couldn't come up with the 500 to repay the check. Next thing I know a cop is calling me asking about the check. He said he just wanted my story. After I told him the story he said he would get back to me if there was anything else he needed. He never did.

About 2 weeks later my probation officer and 2 cops knock on my door and arrest me. My mother had to borrow $2500 from a bail bondsman to get me out of jail and then borrow from her 401k to pay him back. My attorney who has recently been disbarred, told me not to take a handwriting test because if for some reason it came back positive he could not help me. He told me the best thing to do to get my moms money back, my petetion to revoke dropped, and stay out of jail was to plead guilty to this forgery charge and all I would get was 18 months probation. I accepted it. However little did I know that this felony would come back to haunt me.

The funny thing is, this forgery never showed up on my criminal record. I didnt even know I had another felony. I always assumed this was a misdemeanor because it was never brought up. Unfortunatley, at the bottom of the docket for my car accident it stated that the petition to revoke was dismissed per the plea in this felony. The lady at Wells Fargo noticed that and made me get paperwork on this case. Thats when I realized it was a felony

I was able to get the charged dropped from felony forgery to a misdemeanor theft under $300. However Wells Fargo says that I still cannot work there.

Is there anything that I can do? I only have 2 weeks left on my leave of absense and the bills are starting to pile up. Ill get a severnce package that will catch me up but I dont know about after that. I like my job and I am a very important employee in my department. I read that the company can file something call a MC 400 and petition to allow me to keep working there. Does this take a long time?

Also, due I have any legal actions against them since this felony never even showed up on my background, there was just reference to it on a court dockett?

Thank you to anyone for thier help.

xylene

What is your state?

This crime happened when you were a minor? Explain

What EXACTLY were you convicted for?

It seems like you have multiple convictions that could be felonies...

TincoDesign

I was charged with reckles homocide but it was droped to a misdemeanor reckless driving. I was charged when I was still a minor but convicted after I had turned 18. The case in question is the felony forgery, which has now been reduced to a misdemeanor theft under $300

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">