• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for dating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nancy Said

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I started working for this privately owned restaurant about four months ago. Neither did I receive nor did I sign any employee handbook or rules and regulations. I started dating another co-worker completely off the clock, whom had been employed for this restaurant for nine months. Not once did we work a shift together, as the restaurant was run by one server per day. There was no verbal or written warning concerning our relationship, and that it might lead to our termination.
On December 12th I came to work to notice that we were both taken off the schedule for the next month. I phoned my boss and asked her what was going on. She said she did not want people dating in her workplace, and without a full explanation she hung up the phone. Our pay and any reason for termination or any paperwork was not ready for us on the day of termination. That was the last I spoke with her, and has made no attempt to contact me again.
I went in today (28th) and asked for my paycheck and paperwork. The paycheck was there but there was no paperwork. I was told it would be mailed to me. Is there anything we can do about this situation and what are our rights?

HomeGuru

Nancy Said said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I started working for this privately owned restaurant about four months ago. Neither did I receive nor did I sign any employee handbook or rules and regulations. I started dating another co-worker completely off the clock, whom had been employed for this restaurant for nine months. Not once did we work a shift together, as the restaurant was run by one server per day. There was no verbal or written warning concerning our relationship, and that it might lead to our termination.
On December 12th I came to work to notice that we were both taken off the schedule for the next month. I phoned my boss and asked her what was going on. She said she did not want people dating in her workplace, and without a full explanation she hung up the phone. Our pay and any reason for termination or any paperwork was not ready for us on the day of termination. That was the last I spoke with her, and has made no attempt to contact me again.
I went in today (28th) and asked for my paycheck and paperwork. The paycheck was there but there was no paperwork. I was told it would be mailed to me. Is there anything we can do about this situation and what are our rights?
**A: you left a lot of things out, you know the things that the employer would say if asked.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, there is nothing you can do about this situation. You have the right to file for unemployment.

California is an at-will state; you can be fired for any reason that does not violate the law. This does not.

You CAN complain to the state DOL that your final pay was not provided on your last day of work. That's about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">