• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for discussing employment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoannahK

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I just started a new job last week. The pay was much less than what I was hoping to make, but after being unemployed for 2 months, I took what I could get.

After starting, I learned that the benefits were not nearly sufficient, full-time did not equal 40 hours a week, and that raises are given rarely and in minimal increments.

On friday, I was talking with another employee in the office about what I could expect from staying at the job. I also mentioned to her that I had applied for another job before this one, and that if it was offered to me I would have to take it because the pay was almost double what I was making at the current job. She informed me that I could not expect to be making anywhere near what I was hoping for a very long time. She said that she hoped I would stay, but could completely understand leaving for financial reasons.

This morning I went into work, where after a half hour of being on the clock I was called into the boss's office. She asked me if I was happy there and I said "Yeah, I guess. It's only been a week." She then told me that the employee I had spoken with came to her and told her that I was treating this job as a "stepping stone" and that I had no intention of staying on for the long haul, that I was just working there until I found something better.

She then told me that this caused her to feel she couldn't trust me, and that I was fired. I was not given the opportunity to rebut this, so she basically fired me because of something another employee told her I said.

Is this legal? Because I technically was hired by her, I am now unable to collect unemployment in CT as far as I can tell because I have now worked for more than 1 employer in the last 6 months.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answer to your question involves a certain amount of hair splitting.

The NLRB says that you cannot be fired for discussing the terms of your employment.

However, you were not fired for discussing the terms of your employment. You were fired because your employer did not feel you had the committment to the job she wanted to see. And that is legal, even if you feel you were "misquoted".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">