• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired !!! do i have a case???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beautiful5

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS
undefined
I work for a major fitness Corporation and after many problems with schedualing I refused to pick up another shift that was not mine other than the one I was to have worked and hired to work.
I was schedualed to work Sunday from 8-2pm, but a coworker decided to switch the schedual and have me work 2-8pm after having being told directly (the coworker) that we are not to switch shifts she did so regardless with out a shift change contract form. When I then refused to work the 2-8pm or another shift position after being asked by the GM of the club [qoute]"do me this one favor" and cover this shift i stated back that i always do favors and gladly come in when there is needed coverage, but that they always ask for favors and I am being taken advantage and I would not take any shift other than the one I was orginally hired to covered. He then said " it was nice working with you then" CAN HE LEGAL OR RIGHTFULLY FIRE ME FOR THAT? :confused: AND WHAT IS A REDA CLAIM???? :confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, he can both legally and rightfully fire you for this. If the GM tells you to switch shifts, you switch shifts. Your employer sets your work schedule, not you. You do not get to decide what hours you will and will not work.

You have no claim of any kind based on the facts in your post. In my opinion it's a tossup whether you'll even have an unemployment claim. Refusing to work the hours your employer tells you to work could be considered insubordination, which can disqualify you for benefits.

To answer your question, however, a REDA claim is one in which a North Carolina employee who has participated in an action which is protected under the law, and as a result of that action is discriminated against by their employer or another authority. It is a state-specific action not available in Illinios. And even if it were, since you were rightfully, legally and justifiably fired, you would not have a REDA claim.

Last edited:

beautiful5

Response Back???

:confused:
How can that be insubordanation when i was scheudaled to work 8-2pm on the schedual and was then told well then do me this one favor and cover the shift tonight from 2-8pm? When rightfully i was not binded to work that shift nor any other shift in another position...he asked me then to cover kids club since the other employee did not show.

anteater

beautiful5 said:
:confused:
When rightfully i was not binded to work that shift nor any other shift in another position...
And the employer ain't 'binded" to let you work any shift at all.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You seem to be under the impression that you have a guaranteed right to a particular shift. That is not the case. You work the hours your boss tells you to. It DOES NOT MATTER that the other girl "took it upon herself" to work your shift. The ONLY thing that matters is that the boss said for you to work the later shift and you said no. That is a justifiable and legal reason to fire you and no amount of argument from you is going to change that.

Jeff1320

that may be the sad case, but it certainly doesn't make it morally right. what's to keep an employer who has an agenda from drumming up such a scenario? ridiculous....

Curt581

Jeff1320 said:
it certainly doesn't make it morally right.
What does whatever is "moral" have to do with anything?
what's to keep an employer who has an agenda from drumming up such a scenario?
Absolutely nothing.

In fact, the employer doesn't have to give, or even have a reason to fire someone.

They can fire you... "just because".

And you can quit, just because.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No matter how hard I try, I can't see how it's morally wrong to fire someone for refusing a legal, justifiable and reasonable order from a superior.

Jeff1320

then why don't you just make the blanket statement that anyone can be fired unless there is proof of discrimination, and be done with the forum altogether? might save a lot of time if that is indeed the case, because it seems 95% of this free advice repeats the same mantra....

essentially, employees have no rights... because even in the rare case employers have a discriminatory agenda, they can just hide behind whatever reason they wish to provide for abruptly cutting off your finances and turning your life upside down... making most of this forum moot...

THAT is what's morally wrong... people have kids, spouses, sick relatives... private lives that can't be adjusted; ... yet the job market is insanely heartless...

but i suppose there's no landmark case that will ever really challenge that...

so, folks? unless you can prove you've been discriminated against, there's no point in wasting these moderators' time.... you have no case... and no one really cares about your problems...

ah well, life sucks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">