• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for drinking while I was not on the clock?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

April_B

I dont understand this at all.
No where was it written down or told to me that I could get fired for drinking off the clock.
As a matter of fact I told my boss that I was gonna have a few drinks before coming back to work tonight and she said in her own words " I dont give a sh** what you do as long as you #1-dont do it on the clock, #2 and as long as it doesnt affect your job skills.
So about 30 minutes before work I ordered a cup of beer, approximately 6-8 oz. Actually two of them and I didnt finish the second one. I threw it away.
Granted I did it at work. But I was NOT in uniform, Did Not have my hat on or anything. I was NOT drunk and it did NOT effect my work skills.
I work at a bowling alley and I am a short order cook. I worked with two other girls that can vouch for my behaviour and everything.
The very next day before I went into work My other boss (My boss's boss) met me outside and told me that I would no longer be on the scheduelle.
The next day they all had a meeting and said that this was a no no and if they served anyone who was fixing to go to work that they would be fired too. Nobody at this job knew this was or was not allowed (especially me) and one of the girls who served me has been working there over a year and she didnt even know this..
Never mind the fact that this boss decided to let an underage drinker and the guy who gave it to her, decided to let them go without anyone being arrested because it was half an hour before closing and he didnt want to do the paper work?
I explained to the boss that, It was before work, I was not drunk, I was not in uniform, I payed for it, It didnt effect my job skills in any way.
Still, they made an example out of me and I am ticked off.I learned my lesson now but I was wondering,
Do I lump it or should I get a lawyer?
Since nobody replied to this notice Then I took it upon myself to seek a lawyer. He says that I have a case because I am a federal government employee. I live in the state of south carolina for anyone who wants to know..
He also told me that I need to be at the union meeting in the morning to stand up against them..So after all, I wasnt wrong..
Take care. And thanks for all the replies.

[Edited by April_B on 02-21-2001 at 06:48 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">