• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired for drug test results

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

c0rspenc

What is the name of your state? Florida
I work as a truck mechanic. I have always had aches and pains but recently I got an MRI and it showed multiple back problems and I was put on codine based pain medication. I turned in a request for "light work" and two weeks later the company sent me in for a drug screening. Obviously, they found codine and as a result they fired me.
What do employees do who are in pain and on medication. Can they be fired for taking prescription medications? Florida unemployment also states that if you test positive for drugs, you can not collect unemployment since you were fired "for cause".
This seems really unfair. Any suggestions?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

c0rspenc said:
I work as a truck mechanic. I have always had aches and pains but recently I got an MRI and it showed multiple back problems and I was put on codine based pain medication. I turned in a request for "light work" and two weeks later the company sent me in for a drug screening. Obviously, they found codine and as a result they fired me.
What do employees do who are in pain and on medication. Can they be fired for taking prescription medications? Florida unemployment also states that if you test positive for drugs, you can not collect unemployment since you were fired "for cause".

My response:

How can you, in your "right" mind, think that it's proper for you to work as a mechanic when you're taking a "heavy" drug such as codeine?

The lives of other people; i.e., the drivers, depend on you for safety; e.g., when you replace the brakes on a truck, and think that you can effectively do a "safe" job?

Your former employer's "business life" is on the line when they employ a mechanic who is "loaded" all the time. They can't, nor can their insurance, take a chance on drugged up employees. Why do you think they mandate "drug tests" in the first place - - just to see if someone is smoking marijuana? No, my friend. It includes all controlled substances, of which codeine is one.

It may seem unfair to you, but your former employer's business license and insurability is far more important and valuable to them than it is to keep you as an employee.

I know, I know, you're saying, "Hey, I was fine and the drugs didn't affect me at all!"

Tough. Your employer still couldn't take any chances, and neither could the drivers. It's as simple as that.

Get another job where the lives of others aren't at risk.

IAAL

Last edited:
H

hmmbrdzz

c0rspenc said:

My response: Did you tell your employer you were on a Rx medication that contained Codeine, or did you just request light duty? In the future, tell your employer what you've been Rxed and give the note from the doctor. This way, when you are requested to take a drug test, you can put on that slip "was prescribed Tylenol with Codeine for lower back pain on Feb 15, 2003. Employer advised via medical note on Feb 15, 2003". THat's how you do it.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">