• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired due to illness?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Butter2010

What is the name of your state? Texas

I know that Texas is an at will state, but if you are fired for illness can you collect unemployment?
I have never collected unemployment in my life. I have always had good jobs except for now. Right now due to lack of work in my industry I am working as a customer service rep in a call center. I have only been there 6 months and the call center has a 5 occurence "No fault" attendance policy in a rolling 12 months. So if you are out 5 times from march to march thats grounds for termination regardless of the reason. I have a longstanding illness that requires me to be out of work unexpectedly :mad: , but never more than 1 or 2 days a month if that. I have told this to my employer, but I was told that I have not worked there long enough to claim the "intermittent" FMLA that I have qualified for in the past, and the employer will not accept doctors notes. I have tried to work something out with them and have offered documentation but they will not accept it. Most of my conversations offering alternatives have been saved in email records by me just in case they say i didnt try to work with them later on.

I would hate to lose my job, but if I am terminated due to this, will I be eligible for unemployment?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one but an adjudicator from your state can say for certain. A lot will depend on whether you are able to work. Generally if you are unable to work for any reason, including illness, you cannot collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">