• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired due to no doctor's note-- it's not even their policy!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goodgirl79

What is the name of your state? Kansas

A few months ago, I had requested a week's worth of vacation to be taken at the end of April. A few days before my requested time off, I checked the schedule to find that I did not receive my time off. I spoke to my supervisor and was told that because we were short handed, I could not have vacation. (We have been short-handed for more than a year-- I work at a nursing home.)

So, I worked as usual. Later during the week (which I was supposed to have off), I fell ill with a very bad cold. I took off two days: Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday was my scheduled day off, and I returned to work Thursday. When I had called in on Tuesday, I was told that I would have to bring a doctor's note to return to work (even though I was only missing 2 days of work). Our policy was that a doctor's not was required if 3 days was missed, but I went ahead and visited my doc and he gave me a note.

When I returned to work, I handed the doctor's signed note stating I was fit to return back to work. I was then bullied by the HR Director that my note was not good enough, and that I would have to return to my doctor and get another signed note stating WHY I was sick. I said that I was only sick 2 days, but got a note anyway (although policy doesn't require it) and they said they were counting Wednesday, my scheduled day off, as a working day! Thus, they said I needed note stating HOW I was sick!

I thought this was too much. They had bullied me for so long, and I am hard, dedicated worker who is never sick. I did not want to pay for another doctor's appointment to get a note stating why I was sick-- I thought they were out of line. They ended up firing me, and now I feel very wronged.

I don't speak the best English (a friend is typing this) and they have constatly used this as a way to intimidate me and take advantage of me for 12 years.

Please, do I have a case here for anything??????? Is what they've done to me legal?!?!?!?

Beth3

No, they haven't done anything illegal.

I believe that you were legimately ill but the timing was poor and unfortunately, it's not uncommon for some employees to call in sick on a day they requested off but were refused. If your employer wanted a note from your doctor verifying that you were ill (not just that you could return to work), they can do that.

I did not want to pay for another doctor's appointment to get a note stating why I was sick-- I thought they were out of line. You could have called your doctor's office and ask that they fax a note to your employer stating you had a bad cold on the days in question. You wouldn't have had to go in and see the doctor again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">