• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired due to race

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DragonReborn21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I was recently fired from a job in the restaurant business. The paper work made says for 3 other reasons, though she never made me sign them, but my boss said the reason she was firing me was due to my race. I am Native American. I was working there since March. Is there anything I can do about this, or is it a leave-it-alone case?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I was recently fired from a job in the restaurant business. The paper work made says for 3 other reasons, though she never made me sign them, but my boss said the reason she was firing me was due to my race. I am Native American. I was working there since March. Is there anything I can do about this, or is it a leave-it-alone case?
What proof do you have that you were fired based on your race?

DragonReborn21

The only real proof is, in all essence, my word against hers. I was just wondering if there was any possibility to actually go forth in a court case or to just let it go.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, you need a right to sue letter from the EEOC before you can file a lawsuit. You can file with them but if it's just your word against hers it's going to be tough to prevail.

eerelations

I think the OP should file a claim with the EEOC. Should the EEOC decide to investigate, it may find other employees that have heard the boss say things of a similar racial nature that would then support the OP's claim.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I agree. The worst that can happen is that the EEOC decides there's no proof either way.

You Are Guilty

If someone is stupid enough to admit to it once, maybe they'll be dumb enough to repeat it to the EEOC. Definitely file a complaint!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">