• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired due to Rumor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angrywoman

Washington[/FONT]
I was just fired by my manager. I became so ill today (and I don't mean to be crude) that I had to go home and change. I called my job and told them to remove me from the schedule, that I was too sick to perform my job as a massage therapist - not only was I sick, but clients could be infected.

My manager demanded that I come into work, advised me to take ammodium if I had to, but that I was expected to be there.

I called him back and told him that I'd thought about what he said and stilll felt that I would do more harm than good, and that I needed to stay at home.

He told me that he heard a rumor that I had been out drinking all night and was too sick to come into work today. I was so apalled. I told him I thought that was very offensive, and told him that my family and I have lived a sober lifestyle for nearly a decade. Then I realized I was talking to no one - he had hung up on me.

I called him back and asked him if we were disconnected, he said he hung up on me. I told him that I thought what he said was very offensive, and totally innapropriate. I told him that my family and I have lived a sober lifestyle for many years, and that he should get his facts straight before listening to rumors.

He told me that he didn't like my attitude and fired me.

Can you believe that? I know I am an at will employee. Is this wrongful termination? I am so upset, I feel so violated and hurt. Any advise on what I should do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, this is not a wrongful termination. Unfair, possibly; illegal, no.

You should file for unemployment and look for another job where your manager is less distrustful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">