• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired employee whose at my new job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bing20

What is the name of your state? NY

I am a woman manager who worked for many years at my company until recently when I got laid off my job due to a takeover. While I was employed I fired one of the male employees and he is now suing me for harassment. This is all a bunch of lies. Unfortunately he is working at the new company I am now interviewing at. They want to bring me on as a senior manager ( which is hard to come by or I would look else where) they know the case is open and want me but they don't know what to do. They don't want to fire the employee or they may move the this guy to another region but its tricky. They don't want to get sued by him. Have you ever seen a case like this or have any advice about the situation??

HomeGuru

bing20 said:
What is the name of your state? NY

I am a woman manager who worked for many years at my company until recently when I got laid off my job due to a takeover. While I was employed I fired one of the male employees and he is now suing me for harassment. This is all a bunch of lies. Unfortunately he is working at the new company I am now interviewing at. They want to bring me on as a senior manager ( which is hard to come by or I would look else where) they know the case is open and want me but they don't know what to do. They don't want to fire the employee or they may move the this guy to another region but its tricky. They don't want to get sued by him. Have you ever seen a case like this or have any advice about the situation??

**A: and under what cause of action can he sue if the company hires you?

bing20

wORKING TOGETHER

HomeGuru said:
**A: and under what cause of action can he sue if the company hires you?

I would be this person's boss and the case is still open with him from my old company. The new company is worried that its risky working together in case this person makes up more claims about me. It would be hard to manage this person worrying he would make up more issues. Any advise? Its an unusual situation wondering if its ever come up before and what was done. Can they move the person to another region without him claiming its because of me?

justalayman

It doesn't make any diff if it is because of you or not. Unless he has a contract that states he will only work in that location, they can direct him at their discretion. They could also fire him at their discretion, again barring any applicable contract.

What would make the new employer liable for anything?

bing20

justalayman said:
It doesn't make any diff if it is because of you or not. Unless he has a contract that states he will only work in that location, they can direct him at their discretion. They could also fire him at their discretion, again barring any applicable contract.

What would make the new employer liable for anything?

If this person makes up harrassement again which we believe he has the history of doing so and has it out for me couldn't that be a problem for the new company. It would be hard to manage him when we could never be alone together. I'm even scared to look at him the wrong way if we were together at a company meeting. Can I be sued individually if this person thinks I am the cause of being transferred or fired?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">