• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired and employer went to prospective employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

extremely upset

what is the name of your state? south carolina
i went to my employer to let him know that I was applying for another job. he informed me he already knew and that he had been to the store where I applied and asked them what they thought they were doing recruiting his employees. he stated that the ***** had nothing to say. he then asked me when i wanted to leave and i told him that i would give him two weeks notice and he informed me that I could leave on sunday. i went back to work and he sent the manager down in a 30 minutes and i was to told to go to the office. i was told to turn my keys in and leave now. i went through 2 interviews with the prospective employee and did not get the job. the manager of the store was upset that my former employer questioned his assistant manager.
i signed up for unemployment and he is contesting it. Will and I be able to collect and did he have any right to appoach the manager of the other store?

Beth3

Nobody but an adjudictor with your State's UC office can tell you for certain whether you will be able to collect but under the circumstances you describe, I expect you will be able to.

Yes, the manager has the "right" to talk to the hiring manager and act like a big jerk. He didn't defame you - that is he didn't tell the other employer any lies about you in order to prevent them from hiring you - but I don't think anyone would endorse his behavior. It was a stupid and childish thing to do.

Since you didn't have an offer from the new employer, I don't know why you'd tell your current manager that you were applying for a position elsewhere. Most employers won't respond the way yours did but as you have experienced, it can be a risky thing to do. Generally speaking, it's best to wait until you have received and accepted an offer to tell your present employer about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">