• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired for false accusations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curtisfired

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Utah
My brother in law was fired today on charges of embezzling funds. As part of his job he clears invoices for payments and one day he mixed up his wife's company's phone bill with his employers'--an honest mistake that occured only once. His superviser was totally ok with the mistake, but a new superviser to his superviser overheard of the incident and told my brother-in-law that "this stinks and he is going to get to the bottom of it." This encounter was 2 months ago. Today he was fired. His immediate superviser disagreed with the decision to fire him and said that he should contact an attorney because he was being wrongfully accused. Is there a case for wrongful termination and/or defaming his character? Also the stress of losing his job and being accused on embezzling sent him to the hospital. Any claim for emotional damage?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
None of the above.

A wrongful termination means that there is a specific law - either Federal, State or municipal - that prohibits an employee from being termed for the reason they were. No such law exists here. If the supervisor's supervisor wants to fire him for this mistake, it is legal regardless of whether the immediate supervisor agrees or not.

Nothing in your post supports a claim of defamation. Nor does he have any kind of claim for emotional damages. Plenty of people get fired; plenty of people even get fired for the wrong reasons. Most of them manage to get through it without hospitalization.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">