• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for Felony after being hired and was listed on application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hyde021

What is the name of your state? KY
I live in KY. I work in the IT field for a well known communications firm. When I was hired on November 19th, 2007, I stated on my application that I had a felony for wanton endangerment. Now, on January 25th, 2008, the HR department asked me to come to their office. My uncle had just died a few days before and I had been absent. So, my boss told me they wanted to speak to me about me being eligable to be paid for the days I was absent. However, to my unpleasant surprise, they wanted to know the details about my felony charge. I told them I was eligable to have it exsponged and would do that as soon as I had an oppurtunity. They informed me that I had 1 week to get proof of that or I would be fired.
Since they knew about the felony when I was hired, is it legal for them to fire me now?:confused:
Thanks to anyone who can give some insight.

Betty

Kentucky - arrests & convictions: Employers aren't expressly prohibited from asking about arrests & convictions, but private employers should exercise caution since the "disparate impact" theory has been successfully invoked to show that using such records as hiring criteria may violate the civil rights of minority applicants. Even when a legitimate basis exists for considering criminal records, a distinction should be drawn between arrests & convictions.

Yes, they can fire you for a felony charge. They just might want to consider any *possible* repercussions in certain cases.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">