• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for felony: Wrongful termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stalin73

California,
My friend pleaded guilty to a domestic violence and child endangerment charges (not sure if there were felonies or misdims..) and is out on probation. When he informed his employers, he was fired. However, his HR Dept said it was up to the discretion of his supervisor. The letter my friend received from his supevisor says that 'based on the information you provided to Human Resources, your actions are not in line with the values of this institution", and you are therefore terminated. This is a 'Christian' institution .. interestingly my friend who had no prior anger issues nor cases of domestic violence, 'lost it' when he saw his wife (who works at the same institution) with her lover (who also works at the institution). However, no actions were taken against them. I dont expect any actions to be taken against his wife and her lover, but I was wondering if its legal to fire someone who has been charged or convicted. (or pleaded guilty to avoid lenghty trial, lawyer expenses, and having no money to post bail). This is a private institution but also receives federal and state funds.

What do you advice for my friend?
Stal

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That he file for unemployment and look for another job. This is not a wrongful termination as defined by law.

Some Random Guy

Please forgive cbg for being short with his answer. Your question has been asked and answered many times on this forum. Try searching for "wrongful termination"

Unless you have a contract or are part of a union, employers have wide latitude to let anyone go (lookup "at will employment"). Unless they are practicing illegal discrimination, you don't have much of a change with wrongful termination. Illegal discrimination is discrimination against a protected class (gender, religion, age, etc.)

Not liking your behavior is not wrongful termination. Not firing others for their bad behavior is not illegal discrimination.

To quote cbg:
file for unemployment and look for another job. This is not a wrongful termination as defined by law.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As I have said a few thousand times before (but you evidently are not familiar with the concept of a Seach feature) it is not a wrongful termination unless there is a specific law that says an employer cannot terminate for the reason in question. Since no law says you can't be fired for having a felony conviction, it's not a wrongful term.

In fact, since you say there were child endangerment charges as well, if this organization has anything to do with child care or if there are children on site, firing him may be mandatory.

Next time you want to complain that someone didn't give you a full answer (or, more likely in this case, the answer you wanted to hear), try doing a search first. I don't get paid for answering your questions; there's a limit to how much spoon-feeding I feel like doing.

stalin73

Oh, so now CBQ is asking questions (if its a child-related institution)... thats a good start. And no, I was not expecting any specific response... , but I was expecting a response. Thanks RandomeGuy for the response. BTW, CBW-- sites such as this one, would do well in ensuring its users are satisfied with the services and/or purpose of the site. If all they get are short flared answers from someone with an indigestion, they'll move away to another site.... and so FreeAdvice's value is depreciated.
Stalin

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And you got a response; this is not a wrongful termination. It's not MY fault if you wanted someone to spell out all the details that you could have found in a thousand other posts.

I'm sure FreeAdvice will survive if you move on to another forum. But be warned...I respond on at least four others besides this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">