• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for FMLA USE?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sheracr

What is the name of your state? Kansas
I have been employed with my employer for over 3 years. I have always been a "Top Performer" since day 1 and won many awards for this. I have never been in trouble at work for anything. Last year I was off work (covered by FMLA) for 8 weeks due to chronic Migraines. After may med changes the doc finally figured out a daily med I was on was causing the daily Migraines. I still get them occasionally, and still file intermitent FMLA when I do get them.
Now heres what happened.
The company had strict policies regarding accessing accounts of someone you know. I had the same manager for the last 18 months till about 6 weeks ago. I always went to my manager when I needed to do something on a friend or family members account. (Or anything else that would be regarded as an integrity issue.) When I got a new manager, everytime I went to her about something, she would roll her eyes and say "don't worry about it, just do it". She even had me type my own order and set up my discounts, which is unheard of.
So anyway, my sister got a bill which was not right and asked me to look at it. I could never find my manager, so I pulled it up. Several days later I was off work with a migraine, and when I returned, I was fired.
No warnings, no alternate discipline, no nothing. They have had other people this similar issues that were suspended w/o pay for a day and put on 6 mo probation.
I feel like I was fired due to FMLA usage. Being a top performer with nothing but excellent on my evaluations, I should have been given some sort of discipline, but not fired.
Please let me know your opinion, as they will fight unemployment too.
Thanks

Beth3

I don't know if they fired you for FMLA use, or for violating a work rule/federal confidentiality requirements. If you believe you were fired for taking FMLA, then contact the federal DOL and file a complaint.

S

sheracr

I do believe I was fired for FMLA usage. Others with the same senario were given diciplinary action, but not fired. I was a top performer with nothing but excellent appraisals, never been in trouble for anything, even offered a management position. (I turned it down.)
How do I contact the federal DOL?

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">