• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for giving notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rwolfley

Virginia.

My wife is a nurse. She found a new job closer to home doing what she likes to do and she doesn't have to sit in gawd awful traffic. Her current employers hand book stated two weeks notice for resignation. She went in yesterday to resign, giving them 2 weeks and they turned around and fired her on the spot. Virginia is an at will state, but I think this is retalitory termination. Any thoughts? thank you

First post by the way so if im forgetting something please forgive.
Thanks in advance

BelizeBreeze

Tell your wife to enjoy her two weeks off without pay, ask the new employer if they will take her early or find her a temp job for the two weeks.

OR, run her a bubble bath, buy her flowers and see what happens :D

pattytx

Her resignation was accepted immediately, which the employer has every legal right to do. Depending upon the type of job she was doing, and the possibility (however slight) that she could do harm to the company in some way, this can be a common occurrence. For example, I am responsible for the Payroll Dept. here, and any payroll employee's resignation would be accepted immediately; it's just not worth the chance. I doubt very seriously this was "retaliation for resigning"; there's just no reason for the employer to do that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, this is not even remotely "retalitatory termination" and it is not remotely illegal. As Patty says, it is not even a firing. She gave notice; they accepted it immediately. That is perfectly legal. Nothing in the law says they have to allow her to work out her notice.

Beth3

Sure - if you'd like a lousy reference to follow you around.

Most employers do appreciate an employee giving two or more weeks of notice of their leaving and most employers do honor an employee's notice period. While it does happen that an employee's resignation is accepted immediately, that is the exception, not the rule.

I don't know why your wife's employer preferred for her to leave immediately but they did. She can always contact her new employer and inform them she's available immediately if they'd like her to start sooner. Or she can enjoy the two weeks off until her new job begins.

rmet4nzkx

rwolfley said:
So the thing to do is just walk in your last day and quit at 5:00 pm and not give any notice.
That is possible, but you have to remember although they ask for two weeks notice the employer can accept the resignation on the spot. There may be implicaitons to not giving giving notice for future references from the company. So it is best when giving notice to follow the rules and to be sure you have another job lined up. We have had cases here where the person gave notice, and the future job fell through.

BelizeBreeze

Beth3 said:
Sure - if you'd like a lousy reference to follow you around.

Most employers do appreciate an employee giving two or more weeks of notice of their leaving and most employers do honor an employee's notice period. While it does happen that an employee's resignation is accepted immediately, that is the exception, not the rule.

I don't know why your wife's employer preferred for her to leave immediately but they did. She can always contact her new employer and inform them she's available immediately if they'd like her to start sooner. Or she can enjoy the two weeks off until her new job begins.
BOY, does THAT sound familiar:D

rwolfley

Thanks for your feedback, I understand its the law but its not right.

and for the person who inquired, my wife was let go because the office manager is petty. It has nothing to do with her personal or proffesional skills. I understand that you may think me jaded but you would have to know my wife, and then you would know for yourself.

Thanks again for the input.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That may be so, but it doesn't make it illegal.

It is POSSIBLE (I'm offering no guarantees here) that she may be eligible for unemployment for those two weeks, depending on your state law. That occasionally happens in some states when a notice is accepted immediately. She is free to inquire.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">