• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for going into office after hours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nearcompletion

What is the name of your state?
South Carolina

After some events that happened in my office, I became untrusting of my employer I thought that she may be taking my commission. I decided to enter the office after hours with my key and make a list of all the commission I should have earned. After going through my cards for commission I decided to enter into her unlocked office and made sure I had written down everything I knew I had earned. This required me going through files (in unlocked cabinets) checking for my signature. After this I decided to log onto her computer (which the password is known across the office) and attempted to find the commissions report. After noting the number by my name, I logged out and left the office in the condition I found it.

The next day I was terminated because she found out some how... I'm thinking about writing a letter to the home office about her conduct before I went into her office. I am kind of afraid that in retaliation she will try and file charges for trespassing. Can she legally say I trespassed?

SHORTY LONG

Q: Can she legally say I trespassed?

A: If it has been made unmistakably clear that you were not allowed in Office after normal work hours, then,
yes, as well as other criminal charges.

On a side note, it was a big no no for you to enter her office, view/copy files; and use her Computer.

nearcompletion

There was never a written or verbal statement made that we were not allowed in office after hours... But when I thought about everything I think it might be best just to take my loses and try and avoid any criminal charges for viewing her files. The other things I looked at (entries and possible commision) was viewable online. However the commisions report was not.

justalayman

Were you allowed in the computer and the files in her office without asking during the day?

If not, then you surely have committed a breach of trust, if nothing else.

Tuck your tail between your legs and leave without making any noise. What you did may or may not be illegal, depending upon what was typically allowed but it was simply improper to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">