• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired - help...small town politics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

Y o Y

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I understand the "at will" stuff but here goes. I was asked to resign or be fired from a small town YMCA after being executive director/ceo for 3 years. 2 members of the board carried it out telling me they just wanted new leadership. I had tripled membership, built a $1m gym, ran the whole Y alone, etc... the public was happy. Most Board members were not aware until after the fact and still cannot tell me what I did wrong. They refused to let me speak to the board to answer to any possible accusations. Here is the kicker...6 months later, they hired a male (I am female), younger, about same experience, paid double. There are a few things that come to mind. The presidents mistress didn't like me, one of the guys who canned me was "general counsel" and I had to fix 3 years of bad taxes he had done and reported to the board I had completed them, they weren't aware of them, etc...I talked with most of the board and they weren't happy, but the head guy "owns most of the town and calls the shots", and they were powerless help me. Now they are pushing the kids out and turning it into a fitness facility for a couple of large companies, they say that is where the money is! What does YMCA stand for?? The same 2 guys just fired my old Program Director (female) in the same manner. Is there anything I can do??? I need to get their attention to save the Y which is the only thing in our town for kids to do. My reputation has been harmed and I am now having to work 2 jobs and still don't make what I did at 1. I have had many people in town offer to pay for attorneys if I will sue. Do I have a case at all?

Beth3

Not unless the reason they fired you was because they wanted someone male and/or younger. In other words, if you were terminated DUE TO your age or gender. It appears some poor/arbitrary decisions are being made but that doesn't result in any basis for a cause of action in and of itself.

You might as well consult with a local attorney though and get an expert opinion - there's no reason not to.

I don't know what this Y's Board's by-laws are but if the balance of the Board is unhappy with the decisions these two Board members are making, why don't they just marshall forces and vote them off the Board?

Y

Y o Y

Beth, thanks for responding. Just so happens they just amended their by-laws as a result of the public outrage at what happened to me. The by-laws now state 5 things that must happen prior to being fired, including a meeting with the personnel committee. However, major loop hole, an "executive committee" which is comprised of all past presidents can make any decision and inform the board later. Guess who is on the EC? the 2-3 guys that are making the bad decisions. Members went to vote against the by-laws for this reason and the fact that they took child scholarships out of the by-laws, but no comments were allowed. It was a fund raiser and all they asked was for all members to stand and for those not in favor, to sit down. Most people didn't know what they were talking about because copies were not handed out.... also, they hired a front desk guy this summer w/o doing background checks. After 3 months guess what? He is a convicted child molester and rapist. Our Y needs a major overhaul. It is a shame what damage people with a little power can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">