• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired, I think

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alfired

NYC, New York

Two weeks ago my boss (the owner of a medium sized company), calls me to his office and says he doesn't like how I am running the department. He also said he was not satisfied with the level of sales, after which he suggested I stay home for a week, with pay, while he figures out what is going on in my department. Well yesterday I finally caught up to him on the phone and he told me he would help me get a job and he hopes there are no bad feelings, etc. etc., then abruptly he said he had to go and would call me back. I have not heard from him since and I suppose I am fired but why or effective when I do not know. Is this legal?
I have been working at this company for the four years since I graduated college so I do not know what my options are.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is legal. Surprisingly enough, the law does not require him to tell you that you are fired. However, I think he made it pretty clear that he does not consider you to be working for him any longer, whether he actually said the words, "You're fired" or not. Nor is he required under the law to give you a reason, although again I think he did so when he told you he was dissatisfied with how you are running the department or the level of sales. He doesn't have to give you any more information than that.

Go ahead and apply for unemployment.

pattytx

How about going in to the office tomorrow morning ready to work and asking him? BTW, if you were let go, you have to receive your final pay by the next regularly scheduled payday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">