• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired/laid off without notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2007drh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

So I started a new Job. They didnt want me to wait 4 days to start on a Monday, they wanted me to start at 5am the next day. So I cancelled 2 interviews and started. I worked that Thursday and Friday, and on Sunday got a text saying supplies were not in, and to wait for a phone call to return to work.

My wife had to go take the BAR exam, so I paid my mom $200 to come and watch the house/kids/pets for a couple days. I was supposed to be going with my wife to keep her company, but stayed home waiting for a call back to work. It never happened.

Now its been 3 weeks, I have not been paid or called back. They are not responding to my texts/email/calls. They are running ads for the same position. I have decided I no longer want to work for them, but COULD have had a job with either of the 2 companies that I cancelled interviews for.

Is there anything I can do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

So I started a new Job. They didnt want me to wait 4 days to start on a Monday, they wanted me to start at 5am the next day. So I cancelled 2 interviews and started. I worked that Thursday and Friday, and on Sunday got a text saying supplies were not in, and to wait for a phone call to return to work.

My wife had to go take the BAR exam, so I paid my mom $200 to come and watch the house/kids/pets for a couple days. I was supposed to be going with my wife to keep her company, but stayed home waiting for a call back to work. It never happened.

Now its been 3 weeks, I have not been paid or called back. They are not responding to my texts/email/calls. They are running ads for the same position. I have decided I no longer want to work for them, but COULD have had a job with either of the 2 companies that I cancelled interviews for.

Keep looking

sandyclaus

I hope you've been calling every day, at several different times of the day, in an effort to reach them. Otherwise, they could just turn around and claim you quit and/or abandoned the job.

Or better yet, why didn't you just go over there to try to talk to a manager or supervisor directly?

I'm not sure what you are hoping will happen here. If you are thinking that the employer is going to reimburse you for the money you spent paying your Mom, or for the wages you potentially lost when you turned down the other interviews, that's not a realistic expectation.

I would suggest that you keep applying, and perhaps contact those other companies again to see if they still have openings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">