• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired/last paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

psb4560

What is the name of your state?tx.. let's try this again. I am a licensed nurse and have worked in a clinic for a doctor. I have been his only nurse for 7 yrs. no contract just verbal that i would be paid salary every 2 weeks with comp time for anything over 40 hrs. Last night he came to my house to say he was sorry but he had to let me go. He provided me with two checks- one state pension payment which is a 5 figure check and the other states pay-comp time,severence. Severence was never discussed when I went to work for him. today is pay day so the second check is may normal pay plus about another 2 weeks pay give a little. My question is that i had accrued about 80 hrs vacation and about 50 hours comp time which would amount to more that the addition he had on the check. Do I take the money and run or am I due more. I don't know if he legally had to give me the pension or not. He put all the money in the pension, not me.

JETX

psb4560 said:
Do I take the money and run or am I due more.
Take the money and run.
Texas does not require vacation payment on termination (unless it specifically accrues - becomes YOURS- at a set rate).
Also, Texas does not require severance pay.
And since the pension was entirely employer paid and if you were not vested, he didn't have to pay that either.

However, if you want to piss away several thousand dollars (legal fees) AND an employer referral... go ahead and try to squeeze a little more out of him. :D

Last edited:

Gadfly

He gave you severence money which he is not required to do. What do you think you are still entitled to?

psb4560

i'm not sure, that is why i'm presenting the question. you know right now i'm just pissed off and would probably like to stick it to him.

JETX

psb4560 said:
i'm not sure, that is why i'm presenting the question. you know right now i'm just pissed off and would probably like to stick it to him.
Further proof that it is not wise to make critical decisions while you are full of emotion. Hopefully, calmer minds will prevail and help you see that is NOT likely NOT the best 'career decision'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">