• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for leaving early???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Adamk

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I was recently fired from my company, or in their words " I voluntarily resigned", because I left early. The company is on an attendance point system where If you call in sick you lose 2 points, If your late you lose one and if you leave early you lose 1 point.
On 11/7/04 I decided to leave early and told my supervisor to take a point. I finished all my work and left. The next day I got a call saying I voluntarily resigned, from my supervisors boss.
Listen to my work schedule for that week, 10/30/04 9:00 am-10:15 pm, 10/31/04 9:00 am-7:15 am(11/1/04), 11/1/04 10:00 pm- 8:00 am, Thursday at 1:00 am I got a call from my supervisor begging for me to come in and pass medications at 6:00 am, I live 45 min from my work, I did. Sat 9:00 am- 3:00 pm. and Sunday was when I supposedly voluntarily resigned for leaving early. I'm only scheduled for 24 hrs a week. I have never called in sick,used any pto, been given a negative performance review, or been written up in the 12 months of working there. Its a union shop. To my understanding it is illegal to be mandated to work 22 hrs, like I did that previous Monday.
People leave early all the time to watch football games Etc. Can they do what they did?? oh yeah, Ihad plenty af attendance points!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is nothing in the law that says you cannot be required to work 22 hours. It may or may not be a violation of your union contract but it is NOT illegal. There are exceptions for a few industry-specific positions such as airline pilots, but the average employee can be asked to work 24 hours a day if the employer wishes. It may not be smart, but it's legal.

Likewise, there is nothing in the law that prohibits them from firing you for leaving early. Again, unless it is prohibited by your union contract, it is not against the law. In most companies, you don't get to announce that you are leaving early; you ask if you may leave early.

Based on the facts in your post, unless your union contract has been violated there is nothing illegal in what happened.

HomeGuru

Adamk said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I was recently fired from my company, or in their words " I voluntarily resigned", because I left early. The company is on an attendance point system where If you call in sick you lose 2 points, If your late you lose one and if you leave early you lose 1 point.
On 11/7/04 I decided to leave early and told my supervisor to take a point. I finished all my work and left. The next day I got a call saying I voluntarily resigned, from my supervisors boss.
Listen to my work schedule for that week, 10/30/04 9:00 am-10:15 pm, 10/31/04 9:00 am-7:15 am(11/1/04), 11/1/04 10:00 pm- 8:00 am, Thursday at 1:00 am I got a call from my supervisor begging for me to come in and pass medications at 6:00 am, I live 45 min from my work, I did. Sat 9:00 am- 3:00 pm. and Sunday was when I supposedly voluntarily resigned for leaving early. I'm only scheduled for 24 hrs a week. I have never called in sick,used any pto, been given a negative performance review, or been written up in the 12 months of working there. Its a union shop. To my understanding it is illegal to be mandated to work 22 hrs, like I did that previous Monday.
People leave early all the time to watch football games Etc. Can they do what they did?? oh yeah, Ihad plenty af attendance points!
**A: just be thankful you do not have to work 22 hours now.

Adamk

So is this discrimination or what, there has been many documented times employees have left early, my superviser said it was fine that I leave and she didn't ask why. I was told my attendance points were mine to use at my discretion. They had no reason to terminate me. Every action I make at my job is documented in a computer and anyone can clearly see I have never made ANY mistakes there. Oh yeah, and I did some research and it is against union contract to work a 22 hour shift.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing in your post indicates that any employment laws whatsoever have been violated, and nothing in your post suggests any illegal discrimination. If your union contract has been violated, your recourse is to file a grievance through the union. Otherwise, you are SOL unless there are significant facts you have left out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">