• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired / Let Go due to "Distraction of Husband's Deployment"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dg2013

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Husband is deploying on a secret mission for 9 months and I was just let go by my employer (employer of only one month) due to "being distracted by my husband's deployment"

Any suggestions, legal advice, laws regarding this? Does it matter if it's a private company? Corporation?

Please help.

Proserpina

Husband is deploying on a secret mission for 9 months and I was just let go by my employer (employer of only one month) due to "being distracted by my husband's deployment"

Any suggestions, legal advice, laws regarding this? Does it matter if it's a private company? Corporation?

Please help.

File for unemployment.

(Your job is not protected by virtue of your spouse's career, if that's what you were asking?)

Antigone*

Please help.
I know it is difficult to do, but when you get your next job, don't allow personal distractions to interfere.

At this point in time nothing illegal has happened.

davew128

Apparently not so secret if your employer knows about it. :cool:

commentator

File a claim for unemployment benefits. They'll first see if you have enough wages in the last 18 months to set up a claim from everywhere you might have worked. Then they'll look at the reason you were terminated from your last job. If you were showing up and were doing your best, which is what you need to tell them, then it will probably be a performance based termination, and you have a fairly good chance of drawing benefits. But in spite of the stressful nature of your husband's employment, they have done nothing illegal in making a decision that you weren't working out in the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">