• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for a medical reason?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kgrego1

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was hired as an RN in early August. I have been sick for 3 days during my orientation because I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. My boss threatened to fire me today because I missed work. I talked to HR and they said that because they are an "at-will" employer they can fire me at anytime for anything, even if it's for a medical reason. My doctor also wrote me notes to my employer that I was under his care for being ill. Is it true that I can really be fired for a medical reason?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In the circumstances you describe, yes, it is legal.

Since you were still in your orientation period, you have no statutory medical leave time available to you. A doctor's note has no force in law. Your employer is not obligated to excuse the absence just because you had a doctor's note.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">