• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for mentioning labor board in MT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtquestion

What is the name of your state? MT

Recently fired for telling an employer that, according to the labor board, it was illegal for them to deduct money from my check for a job that was completed a month ago. I was a w-2 employee with the company for more than 2 years without any write-ups and nothing but positive reviews from my supervisor(who thinks they were out of line for firing me). Was told that "maybe next time you'll appreciate how good you had it" by the CFO who fired me...

Do I have any recourse?

eerelations

Probably not. While it would've been illegal for your former employer to fire you for making a labor board claim against your former employer, it's quite possibly legal for your former employer to have fired you for advising your coworkers about the labor board. However, you should wait 'til my esteemed colleagues weigh in on this as they may have more accurate information.

Betty

It seems OP told his employer (not the co-workers) what the labor board said about them (employer) ded. from his paycheck.

Mt doesn't recognize the at-will employment concept. Employers must have good cause to fire employees who have completed a probationary period. Good cause is defined as reasonable job-related grounds for dismissal based on failure to satisfactorily perform job duties, disruption of operations, or other legitimate business reasons.

I think you might want to talk to an employment lawyer but hold for other replies to get other opinions. What was the deduction from your pay for?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I agree with Betty that this is at the very least walking the line on legality. Talk to an employment attorney.

crypto

Good gosh! I'm not sure if I understand both sides of the story but can you talk to the Labor Board again and ask them about this? Something doesn't sound right but then again, employers can get away with a lot and/or white-wash things before you can get a fair say or a chance to fight it anyway. Best of Luck to you and sorry that happened. Don't know if this will make you feel better at all, but you are definitely not alone, not at all. Take care and good luck once again. P.S. You probably do not need to hear this but most employers don't like the mention of "Labor Board". Forgive me if I cause any upset by writing that.

mitousmom

If "Labor Board" refers to the US Dept. of Labor or could have been interpreted by your employer as such, you should could its Wage & Hour Division to see if you have protection under the FLSA's retaliation provisions.

cgcivy79

And file for unemployment. Their reason probably isn't good justification, therefore you should get unemployment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">