• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired nanny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmbrimage

(illinois)I have been a established nanny for the last 5 years. I was just fired this morning by a new family that i was a nanny for. we did have a work agreement. but they did not follow it. when i asked what was the reason for being terminated, she stated that it had nothing to do with me or my performance but because i did not have a car. when i applied for the job the employer knew that i did not have a car at the time. i was always early and always stayed late when needed. the employer used the 30 day evaluation to fire me through a email. she did not give a 2 week notice or compensation,can i sue her?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There was nothing illegal about your termination. You have no reason to sue.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Neither a two week notice nor compensation beyond the last day actually worked is required by law. Do you have a legally binding contract that guarantees these things? If not, then no, you have no basis on which to sue.

Zigner

Neither a two week notice nor compensation beyond the last day actually worked is required by law. Do you have a legally binding contract that guarantees these things? If not, then no, you have no basis on which to sue.
I inferred from the original post that there IS an agreement in place, but the agreement has a 30-day evaluation period in which the family can terminate the agreement without cause and without penalty.

I hope that wasn't too much of a stretch ;)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Probably not, but to all intents we're saying the same thing.

The law was not violated; unless she has a legally binding contract that has been violated, she's out of luck.

Zigner

Probably not, but to all intents we're saying the same thing.

The law was not violated; unless she has a legally binding contract that has been violated, she's out of luck.
Yes, I would agree

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">