• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired and never replaced

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bettybroadbent

What is the name of your state? NJ

My boss let me go in October 07. I was told on my last day that it was due to financial strain put upon the company by a $50,000 overdue customer.
I filed for unemployment and was denied. My employer claimed that he heard that I was looking to move out of state in the coming year (although I requested that witnesses be questioned, they never did and I was too upset to pursue an appeal - I just went and got a freaking job). I was denied unemployment because it was considered a fault of my own that I intended to move out of state in the coming year and my employer "couldn't handle the uncertainty of my move."
In the past 4 months, he has not replaced my position, and has let another employee go. How do I bring this (or can I) to unemployment's attention. It seems as though there was no intent to replace me and my position is still funding-restricted at this time.

fairisfair

What is the name of your state? NJ

My boss let me go in October 07. I was told on my last day that it was due to financial strain put upon the company by a $50,000 overdue customer.
I filed for unemployment and was denied. My employer claimed that he heard that I was looking to move out of state in the coming year (although I requested that witnesses be questioned, they never did and I was too upset to pursue an appeal - I just went and got a freaking job). I was denied unemployment because it was considered a fault of my own that I intended to move out of state in the coming year and my employer "couldn't handle the uncertainty of my move."
In the past 4 months, he has not replaced my position, and has let another employee go. How do I bring this (or can I) to unemployment's attention. It seems as though there was no intent to replace me and my position is still funding-restricted at this time.
your former employer is not required to replace you. Unemployment could care less whether he did or not.

YOU should have filed an appeal.

By the way, even if you HAD been eligible for unemployment, eventually, you would have had to get a "freaking" job.:rolleyes:

Beth3

In the past 4 months, he has not replaced my position, and has let another employee go. How do I bring this (or can I) to unemployment's attention. It seems as though there was no intent to replace me and my position is still funding-restricted at this time. None of that has anything to do with your unemployment claim and denial of benefits by the State.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">