• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for NOT bending the rules

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

r1100641

California

I was recently terminated for allowing too much over-time and going over my labor budget. This is what happened, an employee would quit without notice and I would call several employees to cover the remaining shifts. This would lead to over time. I would then reschedule the new week with over time until a replacement is found. Now the new employee must be trained according to policy and must get paid for the training. Now I just went over my budget because of new hire training. This happened four times in the past two months because of a new business that opened just 1 mile away. The first employee convinced three more employees to get hired there and quit their jobs with me. Now I have spent the next two months hiring and training new employees and as a result have had a negative result in my labor budget. I told my boss I have no control over the employees quitting for a better job. I asked my boss how I could avoid this in the future and by boss said, “I’m not going to do your job for you.”
I have heard of other managers paying under the table and erasing over time hours from timesheets.
Should I have done the same?
P.S. My job does not offer any benefits for the employees and their new job does.

JETX

"Should I have done the same?"
*** That is a moral and management issue. This is a LEGAL advice site. Did you have a LEGAL question in their somewhere??

R

r1100641

JETX said:
"Should I have done the same?"
*** That is a moral and management issue. This is a LEGAL advice site. Did you have a LEGAL question in their somewhere??
Can my boss fire me for something that’s out of my control?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">