• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired for not check the conviction box

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

charbok

I live in Florida and I was fired this past week after 2 1/2 years with the company
because I did not check the "have you ever been convicted of a crime" box. the crime in question happened over 28 years ago when I was 17 years old.The reason I did not check the box is because I have a 13 year old in private school, and a lot of the parents know people at my company.I did not want my daughter or her school friends finding out about this mistake her father made 28 years ago. this information would make life very difficult for her. I was just trying to protect her.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You may have a claim. Was this a juvenile record? If so, those are supposed to be sealed.

Check into getting a criminal expungement for that crime. Go to your local criminal law attorney for that.

As to your firing, after a couple of years: did they just decide to do a background check without your knowledge? If so, you may have an invasion of privacy claim.

Is your state an "at will" state? If so, they can fire you for no reason without notice. Otherwise, you may have a wrongful termination claim. I suggest you speak with an employment labor law attorney in your state to cover this issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">