• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired for not fitting in?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

planegeek

What is the name of your state? COLORADO

(sorry, couldn't be more brief)

Without warning, on 12/10/03, I was fired for “job abandonment without management approval” that occurred 11/23/03. I was a salaried customer service manager. Paid for 8, scheduled for 10. I notified the only other csm on duty and said I’d be leaving one hour early…working 9 hours instead of 10. She was aware of my early departure and raised no concerns about doing so.
With or with management approval, managers don’t always work a full 10 hours. For example, the csm who is scheduled for the graveyard shift barely makes it past 8 hours. Her early departures have been addressed by upper management, and her trend continues. Upper management has been overly vocal regarding her leaving early, but discipline has yet to be enforced. It’s been said because her shift is not desirable, she is allowed to carry on the way she does. Her attendance, job performance, and attitude have given her a hugely negative reputation, but she still has a job.
Two to three months ago, I had an annual performance review. I scored well and was praised for numerous accomplishments. No negative issues or concerns were mentioned.
The work environment is pretty rough. There is a tremendous amount of foul language, slander, and derogatory comments. Another manager on an equal level with me, was well known for this type of behavior and was not pleasant to be near. He didn’t care for me much because I chose not to join in the bantering. In a staff meeting, he even addressed me as a “holy roller.” Having never heard that before, I assume it’s a bash against someone with good morals who doesn’t use foul language. Ironically, he was promoted and at the time of my termination, was my direct superior. I strongly feel like I didn’t fit in. I also feel as if I was “let go” because of this.
I don’t know if I have a case or not. I also don’t know what other relevant issues can be brought to the table to possibly reinforce this.
I’m not fitting to get my job back. Honestly, they did me a favor by removing me from an unhealthy work environment. What I want is to possibly get compensated and/or have the “fired” label removed from my file.
Help!

H

hexeliebe

Being "Fired" happens to everyone. It's part of life. As for a case you have none. It's not illegal to fire someone for not fitting in.

In your case, this is probably the best thing that could have happened to you.

Now you can find a place that is a joy to work for.

P

planegeek

moving on

seriously?!
it's legal to discriminate against someone, eventually become their boss, then fire them?
that's good to know.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not all discrimination is illegal.

You cannot LEGALLY be discriminated against because of your race, religion, national origin, gender, age (over 40), disability, or pregnancy. Some states include other groups; your state does not permit discrimination on the basis of legal activity outside of work (smoking, voting Republican). It IS legal to discriminate on other bases. We all discriminate every day. You discriminate when you pick the blue sweater over the green sweater, and when you order chicken instead of steak.

Nothing in your post indicates that you were fired for any kind of illegal reason. It is legal to fire someone because they do not fit into the corporate culture. You have no legal basis to claim compensation from your employer, and there is no megadatabase out there that shows a big "FIRED" next to your name.

Beth3

What you describe does not constitute prohibited discrimination as defined in the law, therefore no discrimination occurred even if the situation was unfair.

P

planegeek

three more things...

is this not discrimination against religion? simply put, i was disliked because i'm a clean Christian person to all the foul mouthed freaks i worked with.

also, is there a time frame to fire someone? the incident i was fired for happened 17 days prior to the firing and this was also the first time the incident was mentioned.

what exactly will my previous employer say when my future employer calls? will they say i was "fired" or is that illegal.

thanks for everyone's help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless there is far, far more to the story than you are telling us, this does not qualify as religious discrimination.

There is no specific time frame in which you must be fired after any given incident.

Not having a crystal ball, I can't tell you what your employers will say. It is NOT illegal to say you were fired, since you were. An employer may legally say anything that is true or reflects their honest opinion. However, many employers choose not to give out reasons why an employee left the company. I have no way of knowing what your particular employer will do.

JETX

" i was disliked because i'm a clean Christian person to all the foul mouthed freaks i worked with"
*** Everyone 'disciminates' against others in some situations. Your post itself is a good example. Why are you discriminating against all the 'foul mouthed freaks' in the world??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">