• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for not living up to thier standards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mankind469

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

1) I was fired for not living up to standards, is this ok to do?

2) Also, I had to purchase a new vehicle for the business and now I have no job to pay for this, should they be responsible for the payoff or should they still have to pay me for the car allowance that I was getting during my employment?

3) I worked one week and did not get paid for it, 3 weeks vacation, and reimbursement for job expense. Do they have the right to keep this, without telling me, or not returning my calls. What should I do>??

Thank you,

pattytx

1) I was fired for not living up to standards, is this ok to do?
Generally speaking, yes. What kind of "standards" are you talking about?

2) Also, I had to purchase a new vehicle for the business and now I have no job to pay for this, should they be responsible for the payoff or should they still have to pay me for the car allowance that I was getting during my employment?
I take it you had to get a car because you were required to have one to perform your duties? And you were getting an auto allowance to help defray your costs in using the car for business? If the answers to both these are "yes", then just sell the thing; maybe the company will buy it :rolleyes: I cannot think of a case in which the company would be legally responsible.

3) I worked one week and did not get paid for it, 3 weeks vacation, and reimbursement for job expense. Do they have the right to keep this, without telling me, or not returning my calls. What should I do>??
If you cannot get a response from the company regarding your wages for time worked, file a complaint with the state Dept. of Labor. I could not find anything on the OH DOL website that specifically stated that earned vacation must be paid out at termination, but you can inquire of the DOL when you file your claim for unpaid wages. There is no legal requirement that a company reimburse an employee for business expenses. If they refuse to pay, you may have to sue; hopefully the amount is small enough to qualify for small claims court, for which you do not need an attorney.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Indiana does not have a law requiring the payout of vacation time at termination; however, courts have interpreted vacation time as wages that are due on termination.

However, you have indicated that you are in Ohio. If you are working in Ohio, then Ohio law applies to you, EVEN IF the corporate headquarters are in Indiana. You would only receive the benefit of Indiana law if you were working in Indiana.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">