• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired for not lying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stacicarroll

I live in Texas and i have recently been fired from my job because they say that I lied on my application. I have been charged with a felony however, i was not convicted. I have shown them the paperwork stating that it was a non-conviction and that was not good wnough. My probation officer also called them and told them that I was not convicted.
The woman that hired me knew about these charges and knew that I was not convicted. However, she was also fird for hiring me. Even if i did have a felony, this particular place will hire you. They just say that I lied. Which I did not do. Am I in the wrong or was this wrongfull firing?

S

stacicarroll

wrong how?

The application did not ask if I was charged, it asked if I have ever been convicted of a felony. How is me answering no a lie? I told the person that hired me that I had been charged but not convicted.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination comes about in two ways. One is if you are termed for a violation of Title VII (age, race, religion, national origin, gender, disability or pregnancy). The other comes about when there is a violation of public policy, which in general means you applied for or utilized a protected right or benefit. Neither is the case here; therefore it is not a wrongful termination.

I'm not saying you lied. But their being mistaken about whether you lied or not does not make it a wrongful termination.

JETX

First, let me say that I agree completely with cbg on this.

However, one thing in your original post simply doesn't make sense.
You said that you were "charged with a felony however, i was not convicted." Then later you said, "My probation officer also called them and told them that I was not convicted."

Why would you be on probation if you weren't convicted??? And if your explanation is that you are in a deferred adjudication probation, you very likely pled guilty as part of the offer and the conviction DOES exist until you complete the conditions set by the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">