• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired, now what...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmar

What is the name of your state? TX

I was fired for one thing and I think they are trying to deny my unemployment for another reason, not related to termination. Is this possible?

I think after they fired me, they are trying to accuse me of theft. When they fired me, I did threaten an attorney due to harrassments I had suffered and I think they are trying to build a case. Irregardless, I am innocent, so I know they have no video or witnesses and so on, but they lied to fire me, can they lie to come after me? I am afraid if they did accuse me of theft, all I have is my employees to back me and my word. If I suspect this, should I wait until they take action, then get an attorney or get one now? Thanks for your help, maybe I am just paranoid.

HappyHusband

jmar said:

I was fired for one thing and I think they are trying to deny my unemployment for another reason, not related to termination. Is this possible?
TWC decides if you qualify for UE benefits, not the employer.

Beth3

jmar said:

I think after they fired me, they are trying to accuse me of theft. When they fired me, I did threaten an attorney due to harrassments I had suffered and I think they are trying to build a case. Irregardless, I am innocent, so I know they have no video or witnesses and so on, but they lied to fire me, can they lie to come after me? I am afraid if they did accuse me of theft, all I have is my employees to back me and my word. If I suspect this, should I wait until they take action, then get an attorney or get one now? Thanks for your help, maybe I am just paranoid.
If your employer contest your unemployment benefits due to misconduct (theft or some other cause), they will have to provide reasonable proof to the UC office that you engaged in the misconduct of which they are accusing you. If they don't have that, then the State will award you benefits.

jmar

Beth & HH,

Thanks for your replies. I guess I am really wondering the following things:

1. they fired me based on a lie--which fine, I can't do anything due to at will state.
2. I have the documentation for the termination paper that was filed with HR that states the reason I was let go.
3. Can they add accussations after the fact to the TWC when TWC contacts them?

I am close to getting another job, and I want this over with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">