• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired over snow

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kb1007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia On Dec 19 Virginia Governor issue a state of emergence due to a snow storm. I work @ att call center, we where sent home on Friday due to the weather, however on Saturday me and 42 others out of 64 people could not make it to work, due to the snow. We even had some areas police issue warnings if you are caught on the road you would be arrested. My question is can att legally fire me for not getting to work on Saturday?

Hot Topic

Was your area one of those where the police supposedly issued warnings that you'd be arrested if you were caught driving? I watched numerous reports about the weather, and not one time did I hear about people being arrested so I don't buy that part of the story.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia On Dec 19 Virginia Governor issue a state of emergence due to a snow storm. I work @ att call center, we where sent home on Friday due to the weather, however on Saturday me and 42 others out of 64 people could not make it to work, due to the snow. We even had some areas police issue warnings if you are caught on the road you would be arrested. My question is can att legally fire me for not getting to work on Saturday?
It might be that this was just the piece of straw that broke the camel's back. You can be the most awesome CSR but if you are not there, you are worthless.

So, OP how stellar was your attendance prior to December 19th?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Absent a contract or CBA (think union), then the company is able to let you go for any reason, or no reason at all.

They are covered by telecommunications workers union, however even with the union you are limited in "events". I worked there as a 2nd job for a while, a coworker was in a rollover wreck and got fired bc it was over his limit of events (once you are out you can be out for several days under one event).

So they will even count "state of emergency"against you, bc if you hadn't missed before....

commentator

Can they fire you for missing that day? Yes. If they fired all 42 out of 64 regular employees, they would be doing their business some harm, I'd say. However, they don't really even have to treat all the cases the same. If a person has had too many previous "events" of absence, they could use this one as the last straw.

File for your unemployment benefits IF you are really fired. They might decide that not coming to work that day was a circumstance you could not control, therefore even though you were fired, you might get to draw your benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">