• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired by phone after 11 years, son had high medical claims, could this be a factor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txtwinfather

Hello! I was employed in Texas with a Fortune 500 Company for 11 years. I have always received stellar reviews from this employer as well as client/customer reviews. I never ever called in sick during 11 years and used my vacation days to care for my child who had stage III cancer and had a liver transplant. My son has since racked up 1.5 million dollars in insurance claims in a year. Of course it is never said, but do employers find a reason to let go of employees with high medical claims?

It seems that in the past year they have been trying to find a reason to get rid of me. They gave me a warning 6 months ago for having a bad attitude (I guess nobody is allowed to have a bad day and vent within reason) and when I was fired they never gave me a solid reason, just that I hadn't followed thru from the previous warning. I'm shocked and sickened! How could I have been such a good employee to them for all those years and just let me go with NO severance. :mad::( If they would have layed me off, I would have been entitled to 22 weeks pay. They didn't even send any paperwork on why I was let go or anything! Very upset.

Do I have any kind of case here?! Thank you for reading and any advice you might offer.

Last edited:

ecmst12

They don't have to give you severence. They don't have to give you a reason. Unless you had a contract (not company policy only) specifying they did. You will be able to sign up for Cobra coverage for your son and the rest of your family if needed. Being emotionally unstable (with good reason or not) is plenty good reason to let someone go.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have a couple of questions for you:

1.) How much time off have you taken in the last 12 months?

2.) What was the incident that triggered your termination?

txtwinfather

I do appreciate your responses, thank you.

CBG, In answer to your questions:
1. I took my vacation days off for my sons transplant - 14 days. Nothing more. 14 days total in 12 months. I'm the guy that even went back to work the day right after we had twins born 3 months early :(

2. I'm a software Instructor. I was setting up for class and nothing was working (again) I was frustrated and in my anger looked at my boss and said "Nothing ever *ucking works around here". That was it. I did not yell it, maybe I should have said "golly gee my equipment isn't working"! I vented in front of my new boss of 6 months. 3 days later I was told to take the afternoon off and they would call me. hmmm...ok. So they called and told me my attitude had not improved and they had to let me go. I could understand if I'd been there a year or so, but all the sudden they decide after 11 years of everyone there loving me, within the 6 months that my son was really sick, that I had a bad attitude?

Oh well. I realize I probably have no case, just feeling really angry and frustrated. Cobra is 1400 a month, I don't know what we are going to do and I'm mad I gave so much to a company that could care less about my family :( Thanks again.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think I have some legal recourse for you, but this is very, very important; did they know about your son's transplant? Or did they just know you were taking vacation time?

It makes a difference to the answer.

Mom_Whitelake

I feel your pain

I know exactly what you are going through. Read my post. I am in the same situation as you and according to my company I violated a language policy. Amazing that someone can fire you with no real discipline standards because you acted like a human being. Mine was a witch hunt also which is why my attitude declined at work. How often can you be harassed before breaking! But like what was told to me, I am better off without this job anyways. Can't you apply for state aid in Texas for medical? I know Michigan has it and I have applyed for it along with fighting my term and fighting for unemployment.

Good luck :eek:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I know exactly what you are going through. Read my post. I am in the same situation as you and according to my company I violated a language policy. Amazing that someone can fire you with no real discipline standards because you acted like a human being. Mine was a witch hunt also which is why my attitude declined at work. How often can you be harassed before breaking! But like what was told to me, I am better off without this job anyways. Can't you apply for state aid in Texas for medical? I know Michigan has it and I have applyed for it along with fighting my term and fighting for unemployment.

Good luck :eek:
Just for the record, you are NOT in the same situation as this OP. This OP may have a case...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">