• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired for a policy i wasn't aware of

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

makman

What is the name of your state?ny. worked 8+ yrs for the home depot. was at the top of the hourly pay scale. didn't get along with the store manager and didn't trust her friend the hr manager. so i reported this to my corporate hr office. 3mos. later i was fired for purchasing a flashlight on my 15 min. paid break. i was told this was a serious violation of company policy. yet my supervisor routinely purchases materials (on the clock) for the house his contractor is building for him. management is aware of these purchases and authorizes them (even gives him markdowns on his purchases). i have asked several lawyers about discrimination ,"but that only applies to race, creed, religion or gender." so i guess the fact my supervisor has a different set of rules to the set i was unaware i had to follow it isn't discrimination. any ideas. i feel like corporate america(home depot) is getting away with this.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

makman said:
What is the name of your state?ny. worked 8+ yrs for the home depot. was at the top of the hourly pay scale. didn't get along with the store manager and didn't trust her friend the hr manager. so i reported this to my corporate hr office. 3mos. later i was fired for purchasing a flashlight on my 15 min. paid break. i was told this was a serious violation of company policy. yet my supervisor routinely purchases materials (on the clock) for the house his contractor is building for him. management is aware of these purchases and authorizes them (even gives him markdowns on his purchases). i have asked several lawyers about discrimination ,"but that only applies to race, creed, religion or gender." so i guess the fact my supervisor has a different set of rules to the set i was unaware i had to follow it isn't discrimination. any ideas. i feel like corporate america(home depot) is getting away with this.

My response:

Have you ever heard of "Ignorance of the law is not an excuse or defense"?

Same basic principle applies to company policies. As a matter of fact, Home Depot didn't even need a reason to fire you. New York is an "at will" employment State. That means that you work "at the will" of your employer, and you work for them "at your will" - - either of whom can terminate the relationship on a moment's notice, and for no reason whatsoever.

Besides, your own attorney - - who presumably - - has an intimate knowledge of New York employment law, has also told you that you have nothing.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Last edited:

stephenk

"didn't get along with the store manager and didn't trust her friend the hr manager. so i reported this to my corporate hr office."

I'm sure that helped put you first in line to be fired for any violation of company policy. Was it worth it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">