• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for posting my resume

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikalmalik

California State -

I have been told in writing to terminate employees for posting their resume online from my boss. I asked if he was sure of these actions before I proceeded with his wishes. He was advised not to move forwarded based on the resume is freedom of speech from what I was told.

Recently, I had a disagreement with him and decided to view my options. I was called and told that I was fired and will be sued for disclosing companay information on my resume which are the acheivements I had while managing my group. I was fired. IS this legal? My job performance was impacable up to this point.

If anyone knows the law and can guide me - please advise.

mikalmalik

Another portion to my posting

I understand that CA is an at-wil law state. However, does an employer have the right to demand sex from another employee and gets declined. Can the employer fire based off being turned down? Just a question, I do not know the answer - I am trying to understand my rights. It has to do with being loyal and my freedom of speech. Other than that, I am trapped at this company and can never look for employment while here - which is going to cause me stress. I have not been able to sleep for the past few days qafter this action and have no money to get an attorney at this point. Just trapped. Thanks again!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
He was advised not to move forwarded based on the resume is freedom of speech from what I was told.

I don't know who gave him this advice but whoever it was does not know the law very well. The First Amendment says that THE GOVERNMENT cannot restrict your speech. It does not even remotely say that an employee cannot be fired for posting their resume.

I personally do not like the idea of firing someone for that reason any better than you do. But it IS legal and it IS NOT a freedom of speech violation.
'
Recently, I had a disagreement with him and decided to view my options. I was called and told that I was fired and will be sued for disclosing companay information on my resume which are the acheivements I had while managing my group.

Firing you for "viewing your options" was legal. It's never a good idea to get into a verbal altercation with your boss. I wouldn't worry about the threat of a suit; it's highly unlikely that what you describe will meet the legal definition of "disclosing company information".

Your job performance is irrelevant (your spelling is not impeccable). The law does not say that you cannot be fired if you have a good performance record.

However, does an employer have the right to demand sex from another employee and gets declined. Can the employer fire based off being turned down?

Now this IS illegal. An employer who fires an employee for turning down the employer's request for sex is in violation of Title VII. If this happened to you, contact the EEOC immediately. Time limits apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">