• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired for a private conversation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

willinic

new yorkWhat is the name of your state? I was having a private conversation with a co-worker. Corporate was on hold, the client was on hold. QC was listening, didn't like the levity and fired me. No profanity was being use, no corporate slurs, just a private light hearted conversation with co-workers. Is this legal for corporate QC to monitor private conversation and discharge employees if QC does not like the slant of the private conversation?

Last edited:

M

mrsgrayston

No offense but I do think if you are company time, they might consider that misuse of company time. You also said you had a call on hold so you were busy at the time. :(

W

willinic

mrsgrayston said:
No offense but I do think if you are company time, they might consider that misuse of company time. You also said you had a call on hold so you were busy at the time. :(
I disagree with you. Using that logic, saying hello, and making a little small talk to a coworker, while passing a co-worker in the hall, while on the clock, would be a mis-use of company time. What happened was, I was sitting on hold on one line with corporate loan officers, the mortgage applicant was sitting on hold on the other line and I was in the middle, waiting to conference in everyone, actually waiting for the loan officer to do a offical rejection on the loan application. The applicant in question was attemping to obtain a loan on a un-securible item, but we still have to take the applicant through the loan process. The applicant was attempting to secure a loan on a single wide trailer, did not own the property the trailer was located on and the trailer was not on a foundation. We deal with these situations hourly and it's like having a little piece of Jerry Springer in your work place, and a constant source of humor..The co-worker sitting next to me was also on hold with corporate and a client, the call queue wait was about two minutes long and myself and co-worker were just making shop talk. I was not ignoring my responsibilites, being profane or attacking corporate or being loud. It was a private conversation between two workers reflecting on current activies. The client I was dealing with was rude, demanding, did not understand the concept of "deeded as real estate" and what shave taken 5 minutes took 15 minutes because I am not allowed to interrupt an applicant as they babble on. Corporate QC was listening to our "off mic" remarks, lasting less than two minutes and was not happy. Iwas not wasting production time and contend this action was illegal.

You Are Guilty

willinic said:
thank you for the link. I hope get a little more input on this.

If anyone else would like to add to the thread your input is appreciated.

Can't really get much clearer than that. They could just as easily have told you that you were being fired because they don't like your speaking voice, or because you're ugly. "At-will" means just that.

Did you have a contract?

W

willinic

"at will"

You Are Guilty said:
Can't really get much clearer than that. They could just as easily have told you that you were being fired because they don't like your speaking voice, or because you're ugly. "At-will" means just that.

Did you have a contract?
Thank you for your input. I have just learned what 'at will' laws in New York mean. As long as you are at work and if 'they' don't like anything about you, 'they' can fire you. Period. I have spoke to various New York Labor people and Departments today and they have explained "at will" to me. I did not know this existed. I am meeting with a rather aggressive attorney on Tuesday who appears to be interested in challenging this. I was not under contract.

Thank you again for your insight.

BelizeBreeze

And just so you know Willie, I would have fired your ass for keeping a customer on hold period!

I once fired a woman who refused to wear a bra to work. And WON at the UC hearing. When asked why I required her to wear a bra I told the hearing officer "I refuse to allow my company to be represented by a cow slinging her utters in someone's face."

I get away with a lot :D

W

willinic

the idea is

BelizeBreeze said:
And just so you know Willie, I would have fired your ass for keeping a customer on hold period!

I once fired a woman who refused to wear a bra to work. And WON at the UC hearing. When asked why I required her to wear a bra I told the hearing officer "I refuse to allow my company to be represented by a cow slinging her utters in someone's face."

I get away with a lot :D
I answer the phone..I screen the client..after you screen the client you tranfer the client to the proper party..I am in the middle..you tranfer people all over the county..I there are 100 calls in the queqe and if you are on hold more that 2 minutes, the clients call is returned to you by the system and you can try again OR tell the client we'll call you back within 48 hours. The call did not time out, the transfer was successful and the application was rejected, because the client did not qualify because a trailer, with wheels, not on a foundation on rented property is an unsecurible loan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">