• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for reasons beyond my control or justified?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EllenS

On May 25th, I was arrested for violating an order of protection. A police officer saw me slap my husband. I was in an alcohol black out and don't remember being arrested. Anyway, when I got to the jail I fought the officers and was subsequently labled as an administrative keep lock, therefor no priveledges. Not even use of the phone. I never made my free call because I didn't feel a need as my husband of 14 years was aware of the arrest. On the 26th, the Sgt on duty came and got me and brought me to his office. He is a family friend. He allowed me to use the phone. I called home and got no answer. I called my boss at home and told him I was in jail. I said that my bail was $ 1,500 and I expected to be bailed out. I said that if I didn't show up for work on the 27th, then I was still in jail. Shortly after that, my husband came to visit me and I believe the reason was not out of care or concern but to tell me that he wasn't going to bail me out. So, I was never bailed out and missed two days of work. I couldn't call the boss to tell him of this and really didn't worry about it b/c I had called him earlier. On the 29th, court that day was two hours late and I was able to pass my work number and info to someone who could us the phone. She called collect and told the boss I was still in jail and going to court at 11am. I went and was released to probation. OH, my boss had told her to tell me that I was terminated unless I could prove I was in jail and so on. No problem. OK, the bottom line is this, I am terminated. I saw four different "higher ups" at work and all told me the same thing. I was being terminated for "no call/no show" despite the fact I was not able to call or show. I'm really angry because Iwas there for almost five years and make excellent money. Now, husband wants me to move out and I don't have a job to support myself. Had he bailed me, I would have my job and moving would be a pleasure. Now what do I do? I live in Schenectady, NY.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">