• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired for refusing to violate someone elses rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aharris2615

Kansas

Factual background: I worked for a company that is owned equally by three people we'll call A, B, and C. There is now a legal dispute between them. A and B are married and C alledges that the other two are embezzling money from the company and is now suing them over the matter. I was hired by C and worked directly for him for my entire employment. But, 5 months ago C no longer came to the office and had me meet with him to discuss day-to-day activities and provide feedback for ongoing projects. He absolutely despises the other two and cannot be in the same building with them let alone in the same room, so I thought nothing of it and figured the courts would settle the power struggle in due time.

The Problem: A and B ordered me to reveal whenever I spoke to C and what we spoke about regardless if it was done outside of work hours. I willfully disobeyed this order because I beleive that it violates C's right of privacy. Also, I was confused on if A and B actually outranked C in the firstplace to give such orders.

As a result, I was fired for "insubordination." Doesn't insubordination require a LEGITIMATE directive to be willfully disobeyed? Furthermore, what they asked me to do was unlawful wasn't it? Regardless of at-will status, firing someone for refusing an illegal directive is retaliation, right?

Thanks in advance!
:)

You Are Guilty

aharris2615 said:
Kansas

Factual background: I worked for a company that is owned equally by three people we'll call A, B, and C. There is now a legal dispute between them. A and B are married and C alledges that the other two are embezzling money from the company and is now suing them over the matter. I was hired by C and worked directly for him for my entire employment. But, 5 months ago C no longer came to the office and had me meet with him to discuss day-to-day activities and provide feedback for ongoing projects. He absolutely despises the other two and cannot be in the same building with them let alone in the same room, so I thought nothing of it and figured the courts would settle the power struggle in due time.

The Problem: A and B ordered me to reveal whenever I spoke to C and what we spoke about regardless if it was done outside of work hours. I willfully disobeyed this order because I beleive that it violates C's right of privacy. Also, I was confused on if A and B actually outranked C in the firstplace to give such orders.

As a result, I was fired for "insubordination." Doesn't insubordination require a LEGITIMATE directive to be willfully disobeyed? Furthermore, what they asked me to do was unlawful wasn't it? Regardless of at-will status, firing someone for refusing an illegal directive is retaliation, right?

Thanks in advance!
:)
No, no and no, in that order. Sorry.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So do I. However, you were mistaken in your belief that answering the question violated any of C's protected rights. You were mistaken in your belief that A and B's order was unlawful.

Your termination was legal. Sorry.

aharris2615

When i am wrong, I am wrong. Thanks guys, for saving me the embarassment. I guess sticking up for the underdog was politically stupid. I'll chalk this one up as one of those youthful transgressions everyone makes before they reach 25.

aharris2615

I don't think I properly showed my gratitude. Seriously, Thanks. Some of you mentioned I had integrity. However, from where I stand, I see a lot of contributors to this forum donating their livelyhood to complete strangers. Frankly, that's integrity. It makes me think that, contrary to popular belief, there are many lawyers who really do care about people.

Again. Thank you. I've seen the length and fairly focused responses to other people's problems and I'm impressed at the level of generosity that takes place on these forums. :) :) :) :) :) :)

C

CheeseBlotto

aharris2615 said:
When i am wrong, I am wrong. Thanks guys, for saving me the embarassment. I guess sticking up for the underdog was politically stupid. I'll chalk this one up as one of those youthful transgressions everyone makes before they reach 25.
Doing the right thing when there's a personal cost is the mark of a good person. Congratulations and good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">