• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for reporting Sexual Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

ftterm

Texas- I (female) work for a Financial Institution based in Ca. I work in the Tech. Dept. in Texas.
I reported a co-worker (male) for sexual harassment. 2 wks later I herniated a disk in my neck it may or may not have been work related. I did not claim Wk Comp.
I had major surgery on my neck to repair. I return to work 4 days later because I am told I had no more time off to take and I should return, or no pay, then no job. I hade a 1-week then a 2-week follow up with my Dr.. Days later I called in to say I would be late one morning because of pain, 2 weeks after surgery, I get to work around 11 AM. At 3PM my employer tells me I am on probation (for 90 days) for unexcused absences, including the 13 days I was off before and after surgery though I had Dr.s notes for all 13 days, I was told I must be at work from 8 – 5, I could not see my Dr. between those hours, if my Dr. could not do that I should find another Dr.. It gets really long after that. I signed the form under protest.

About 80 days into the 90-day probation, I had a flat on the way to work. Now I am on “Final counseling”, meaning, I arrive 1 minute late, I am fired. Now, it will be a total of 6 months after surgery before I can see my Dr.

Back to the harassment, nothing was done to the coworker I reported, while 3 employees were fired shortly after for harassment to other employees. I gave witness names, they did not interview them.

I feel I have been singled out for reporting someone for harassment, and they have found a way to get rid of me because of my injury. Was my injury work related? I am not sure, I certainly have reason to say it was, but I did not. Is there anything I can do?

As for my job performance, I have been told time and time again by management that I do great work for them, my work is not the issue, it is my attendance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">