• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for retaliation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Muy808

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I got fired from a restaurant today. My manager's excuse was a complete lie. He told me in front of the restaurant doors that somebody called him late Monday night about me telling a customer to "hurry up and order." What the hell?! ALL LIES.
To help fabricate it even more, he says an employee can match that statement.

To make things shadier

During this week I asked him about wrong SSNs on my first paycheck. He then replied they were temporary. Sure.... (payroll tax evasion)
So today our manager handed me a check along with the tip money I had to remind him about that they owed me from Monday Night. He then started on with some magnificent lie that some guy called in and was pissed late at night about my service.
-I HAVE NEVR HAD ONE BAD SERVICE.
-Who calls about bad service?
-What's up with them evading my social security? Evading taxes too? IRS?

My take is he fired me because I found out about there tax evasion.

Please help?

justalayman

how is having a wrong SS# listed tax evasion. They would still have to pay into that account. They would benefit nothing by using the wrong SS#.

commentator

I don't know how long you've been working for this business, but file for unemployment insurance, tell them the circumstances, and see if you have a claim. If so, they may not show wages for you from this employer, and this will cause them to examine the employer's practices, see if he's paying in his unemployment taxes, and will cross check with his social security benefit payments.... Doesn't help you much, but will sort of catch them up if they're shady. It sounds like you are well rid of them. Of course, as everyone has said, of course they can fire you at will for any kind of stupid, trumped up untrue reason. There are no labor laws that keep them from doing this. Move on and do better. You're not a whistleblower as you may be thinking, entitled to any type of special treatment because you have "uncovered" their possible tax fraud. Lots of shady places try that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do you understand what is meant by "illegal retaliation" in employment law? It is NOT what 99% of the folks who post here think it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">