• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired For Retaliation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Muy808

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I got fired from a restaurant today. My manager's excuse was a complete lie. He said that somebody called him late Monday night about me telling that customer to "hurry up and order." What the hell?! LIES.
To help fabricate it even more, he says an employee can match that statement. Without naming the employee.

To make things shadier

During this past week I asked him about wrong SSNs on my first paycheck. He then replied they were temporary. Sure....
Next I texted him asking for tip money they owed me from Monday night. He replied that he did and I could pick it up as soon as possible. I told him it was alright and I would wait till I had to come in to work.
-I HAVE NEVER HAD ONE BAD SERVICE.
-Who calls about bad service?

Please help?

Eekamouse

Keep your question all in one post. Not that this post is really any different than your other post. Were you hoping t get a different response or something? Nevermind. No need to answer.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I got fired from a restaurant today. My manager's excuse was a complete lie. He said that somebody called him late Monday night about me telling that customer to "hurry up and order." What the hell?! LIES.
To help fabricate it even more, he says an employee can match that statement. Without naming the employee.

To make things shadier

During this past week I asked him about wrong SSNs on my first paycheck. He then replied they were temporary. Sure....
Next I texted him asking for tip money they owed me from Monday night. He replied that he did and I could pick it up as soon as possible. I told him it was alright and I would wait till I had to come in to work.
-I HAVE NEVER HAD ONE BAD SERVICE.
-Who calls about bad service?

Please help?
Lots of people call about bad service. But you can be fired for ANY reason not protected by law. So deal with it.

LdiJ

Lots of people call about bad service. But you can be fired for ANY reason not protected by law. So deal with it.
I think he/she is better off without the job anyway. The wrong SSN on his paycheck is a bad sign.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We sometimes have to indicate a temporary 999-99-9999 or something like that while we're processing a work visa or something. But that's probably not what's happening in this case.

Muy808

We sometimes have to indicate a temporary 999-99-9999 or something like that while we're processing a work visa or something. But that's probably not what's happening in this case.
Actually it was xxx-xx-0005 on my paycheck. Which clearly isn't my ssn. I assume he fired me because I brought it up.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually it was xxx-xx-0005 on my paycheck. Which clearly isn't my ssn. I assume he fired me because I brought it up.
Is the -0005 correct?

Employers are not allowed to put your full SS# on the check...identify theft concerns and all.

Muy808

Is the -0005 correct?

Employers are not allowed to put your full SS# on the check...identify theft concerns and all.
The last 4 digits....not the whole ssn.
How come he gave me another paycheck that had my correct last 4 digits during my firing since I brought it up to him?
IRS told me to file 3949-A form. So I have.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The last 4 digits....not the whole ssn.
How come he gave me another paycheck that had my correct last 4 digits during my firing since I brought it up to him?
IRS told me to file 3949-A form. So I have.
So, they made a mistake and, when it was brought to their attention, they fixed it.

I really think you are overthinking this matter about the SS #

Muy808

So, they made a mistake and, when it was brought to their attention, they fixed it.

I really think you are overthinking this matter about the SS #
I feel like I am, but there honestly is no cause for my termination other than that. I've already filed for UI.
-The first paycheck I already cashed out in the bank. (wrong ssn)
-My second paycheck was for another weeks worth of work and I still have it. (this has the right SSN)
-Picking up my last paycheck on Wednesday

Everything just doesn't add up.

I have to go in on Wednesday, I'll keep the situation updated.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No other reason that you can see.

It has been my experience that employees who have been fired rarely understand why. I once had an employee who caused us to have the police in the lobby for an hour, and she didn't understand why she was fired.

But it's also possible that it has nothing to do with you personally, and more to do with business reasons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">