• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired rn for 1 minute late to work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gramdma

What is the name of your state?Ohio Holding a RN position and was late 1 minute. I had a warning about this but I think maybe trying to get rid of me because I make the top money in department. I must say this is a new surgical center and have been there for over a year since it opened. The floor goes by the time on the computers as that is correct and not the timeclock we punch in on. But Human Resource dept goes by the time clock. But seems that an aide was to check me on what time I came in. My time ,was that I was there 2 minutes before time due in. The anesthesiologist are all up in arms about me being fired as they know I am the best there. Is there anything I can do?

C

CheeseBlotto

Legally, probably not. If you're as popular with the doctors as you indicated, ask them to get involved on your behalf. They likely have more pull than some HR drone.

Beth3

Holding a RN position and was late 1 minute. I had a warning about this So you had already received disciplinary action for tardiness and were late again? Apparently you thought they weren't serious. They were.

The floor goes by the time on the computers as that is correct and not the timeclock we punch in on. But Human Resource dept goes by the time clock. Then you would have been wise to adjust your arrival times accordingly.

The anesthesiologist are all up in arms about me being fired as they know I am the best there. But the anesthesiologists don't make company policy.

No, there is nothing you can do.

thomas111

It sounds like there is late/tardy policy in effect at your job. Usually when you sign you employment you agree to conform their terms and conditions of employment. One of these conditions might have been related to being late to work.

Strictly speaking, businesses have to have a legit reason, like showing that an employee has caused a decline in profits, in order to be considered for termination. But that can be overridden with one instance of your signature and most likely was when you signed to work with them.

So, I dont think that you can do anything to reverse their action. All I would do is to ask them to provide a positive recommendation for your next job.

Beth3

Strictly speaking, businesses have to have a legit reason, like showing that an employee has caused a decline in profits, in order to be considered for termination. Strictly speaking, businesses don't have to have a legit reason to terminate someone. Absent a contract or CBA, employees and employers have an "at will" employment relationship, therefore no reason is necessary. That said, employers don't terminate employees for the fun of it. There's always a reason.

But that can be overridden with one instance of your signature and most likely was when you signed to work with them. I can't imagine what you're referring to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">