• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for Smoking??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blimeyzawn

I have a rather strange legal question. My boyfriend, Jesse, and I both smoke and he recently started a new job. Jesse does not smoke at work and does not smell unusually strongly of smoke. However, today his boss informed him that if he did not quit smoking he would fire him. The rationale for this was that other employees will quit if they are aware that Jesse smokes. According to his boss, everyone in the office is allergic to cigarette smoke. I find this a little hard to believe; it's quite a coincidence that "everyone" in an office is allergic to smoke. The employees are NOT being exposed to cigarette smoke anyway, since Jesse does not smoke in the office and does not take smoking breaks.

Jesse explained to his boss that I smoke and that therefore even if he quits, he may still smell mildly of smoke. His boss explained that this was unacceptable and I would have to quit as well for him to keep his job. The job does not provide health benefits, so the employer is not paying extra money because Jesse smokes. Is this legal? If not, what can be done about it? Any online articles would be helpful. We live in Georgia, if this is relevant. Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In Georgia, as well as many other states (though not all) yes, it is legal to be fired because you smoke.

blimeyzawn

Well... I guess he's going to be looking for another job then.

Is this based on a particular law, or are there just no laws AGAINST terminating someone for smoking? Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The latter.

Georgia, like every other state in the US except Montana (and even including Montana in some cases) is an at-will state. In an at-will state, you can quit at any time and for any reason, and you can be fired at any time and for any reason that does not specifically violate the law.

There is a small handful of states which specifically says that you cannot be fired for engaging in legal behavior in your off hours. In those state, since smoking is a legal activity, you cannot be fired for smoking as long as you don't do it at work. However, in the absence of such a law (and Georgia does not have one) you can be fired for any reason that does not violate public policy or Title VII. That means you can legally be fired because you wore a red shirt to work. You can legally be fired because you have a banana on your desk (I'm not kidding - that's an honest to goodness question I answered on another board a couple of years ago). You can be fired because you root for the Yankees and your boss is a Red Sox fan. And, you can be fired because you smoke.

BTW, if you are thinking about lobbying for such a protection, you certainly have the right to try. But I recently learned that Georgia offers fewer protections to its workers than any state except Alabama, not even offering protection to all the categories that Federal law offers. So my guess is that such a movement would be a long, hard fight.

BelizeBreeze

Well now, that is correct.
Some states have laws that prohibit employers from discriminating in their employment practices against individuals because they are smokers or nonsmokers, but Georgia does not have such a law.

The Georgia courts have refused to create public policy exceptions in three broad categories: discharge for refusal to commit or condone an illegal act, discharge for disclosing the employer's illegal activities (``whistleblowing''), and discharge for exercise of a lawful right. The Georgia Court of Appeals explained their resistance to creating public policy exceptions in Goodroe v. Georgia Power Co. The court stated, ``There is no room for [a public policy] exception in Georgia as [the at-will] rule is statutory and the statute, [O.C.G.A. § 34-7-1 (GCA § 66-101)], does not encompass [public policy] exception.''

In Borden v. Johnson, a case involving an allegation that an employee was terminated because of her pregnancy, the court discussed the public policy issue as follows:

The courts of this state have consistently held that they will not usurp the legislative function and under the rubric that they are the propounders of "public policy'', undertaken to create exceptions to the legal proposition that there can be no recovery in tort for the alleged ``wrongful'' termination of the employment of an at-will employee. That the courts of other jurisdictions may have done so is of no consequence because
``in Georgia . . . , this rule is statutory . . . .'' Accordingly, ``Georgia courts have refused to acknowledge any exceptions not encompassed by O.C.G.A. § 34-7-1 [GCA § 66-101], and, in the absence of any expressed statutory provision for such a civil remedy . . . , we decline . . . to create judicially such a remedy''.

The court went on to state that there clearly does exist certain viable ``public policy'' exceptions in Georgia to the proposition that the employment of an at-will employee can be terminated for any reason whatsoever or for no reason at all. However, the court noted that each of these ``public policy'' exceptions was created by the legislature, not by the courts, and went on to enumerate those exceptions as follows:

See O.C.G.A § 18-4-7 [GCA § 46-303] (which prohibits the discharge of any employee because his earnings had been subjected to garnishment for any one indebtedness); O.C.G.A. § 34-1-2 [GCA § 54-1102] (which criminalizes the discharge of employees on the basis of age); O.C.G.A. § 34-1-3 [GCA § 54-1103] (which authorizes an employee who is discharged for attending a judicial proceeding in response to a court order or process to recover damages and attorneys' fees); O.C.G.A. § 34-6A-1 et seq. [GCA § 66-501 et seq.] (which authorizes an employee who was allegedly discharged as the result of a handicap to initiate a civil action).

Even though an at-will employee has no viable state remedy in the form of a tort action for ``wrongful'' discharge, unless the General Assembly has created a specific exception to O.C.G.A. § 37-7-1 (GCA § 88-401), plaintiff's counsel should consult all applicable federal statutes to review whether there is a federal statutory remedy.

Thus, there are federal statutory prohibitions for discharge based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin or for filing charges or giving testimony under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, prohibiting discharge based on age of persons 40 and over or for exercising statutory rights, prohibiting discharge for union activity, protected concerted activity, protected strikes or for filing charges or giving testimony, prohibiting federal contractors and financial assistance recipients from discriminating against qualified handicapped persons, prohibiting discharge except for cause for one year upon return from military service, prohibiting discharge of employees for exercising rights under benefit plans or for filing a complaint.

Also for giving testimony, prohibiting discharge for filing a complaint or giving testimony under the federal wage-hour laws, prohibiting discharge for filing a complaint or giving testimony under the federal health and safety laws, prohibiting discharge for garnishment of wages for any one indebtedness, prohibiting discharge of federal employees except for cause, prohibiting discharge for service on grand or petit jury, prohibiting discrimination against qualified persons with disabilities, and prohibiting discrimination against an individual who is or has been a debtor or bankrupt under bankruptcy laws or associated with such.

So, now that you've waded through all of that, the point to all of this is, yes, you MAY have a cause of action on the federal level, but then you have to ask yourself if you have about 5 years and $100,000 or more to pursue such a cause of action without any guarantee of success.

BelizeBreeze

Since when did I say it was a 'statutory' right?

What I SAID, is that there are provisions in Federal Law for an Employment Tort.

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
Sorry, darlin', I misunderstood you. ;)
No problem sweet cheeks.

But you're not far off. There is a state statue in georgia forbidding minors under the age of 18 to purchase cigarettes.

It shall be unlawful for any minor to purchase or possess for personal use cigarettes or tobacco related objects, except this shall not apply when a parent or guardian of such minor gives the cigarettes or tobacco related objects to the minor and possession is in the home of the parent or guardian and such parent or guardian is present. It is also unlawful for minors to misrepresent their age or identity to purchase cigarettes or tobacco related objects. A minor who commits an offense may be punished by requiring 20 hours of community service, requiring attendance at a lecture or discussion on the health hazards of smoking, or a combination of both.

GA. CODE ANN. § 16-12-171 (2004).

But the georgia code and federal law allows adults over the age of 18 to not only purchase cigarettes, but also to smoke them. THIS is a statutory right protected by law.

And it is on this basis that a federal tort could be forwarded and I promise you, will soon be forwarded given the current political climate.

But, in Georgia, it is the ONLY way based on this post.

Katy W.

blimeyzawn,

It sounds to me like it isn't really the smoking itself they object to, it's the smell. And I have to tell you that I agree, I am nauseated af a strong cigarette smell is on someone's clothes and could not work next to someone who smelled like that.

You could try showering and changing at home before coming to work, and then not smoking until you get off.

Keep in mind that as a smoker, you cannot perceive how your clothes smell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">